Monday, February 9, 2009

Deblyns Shih Tzu Views on Shipping a Puppy

Do I ship my pups? Yes. Do I ship overseas? NO. Shipping a pup is hard on a puppy. You ask why I know this. Well just think about it. Puppy is at my home surrounded with his litter mates and mommy. All of a sudden he is put in a crate anywhere from 4 hours to 15 hours and that is just in the United States. He no longer has his litter mates there and his mommy is no longer around to save him. I know this sounds sad, but in a few hours he will be with his new family all loving all over him or her. Why do I ship? I ship because I know this pup will be in his forever home. Do I ship to a kennel home? NO. I screen my family very well before any transaction is taken place. Where the pup will live, Will you socialize, Will you take the dog to training. Where will the pup sleep at night. All this is a key to a good home. Yes they can tell me anything they want, but if I don't have a good feeling over the home I will not let the pup go.

DO I MAKE MONEY ON SHIPPING? NO. First its numberous phone conversations, then a trip to the vet for a health certificate. Planning the flight through the airlines, finding out how long the lay overs are. Then we purchase the crate. On the big day of the flight the pup is bathed and off to the airport which is around a 2 hour drive for me. As I drop the pup off I cry and say a prayer for him or her. My job is done and the trip back home is a sad one. Now I wait for the phone call telling the pup arrived safely. I hear the excitement in their voices and I know I did the right thing. This is the love of the breeder. Rasing happy healthy pups to go to wonderful homes.

Shipping is a good thing and the pup forgets me and his litter mates. But I will not ship overseas. The flight is just to long.

I hope I have answered any questions you may have over shipping.

Deblyns Shih Tzu

No comments: